The HiFiBerry Digi+ family contains high-quality S/PDIF output boards with the following characteristics:
- Dedicated S/PDIF interface chip supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution
- Optical (Toslink) and electrical outputs
- Bit-perfect output—audio data stream will not be modified in any way
- Connects directly to the Raspberry Pi—no additional cables needed
- Directly powered from the Raspberry Pi—no additional power supply
- Optional: high-bandwidth output transformer provides full galvanic isolation of the electrical output (not in the standard version)
- Integrated EEPROM for automatic configuration
- Comes with all components required to mount it (we include fitting spacers to fix the board onto the Raspberry Pi)
Important note: While the hardware is able to output DTS/Dolby Digital, software has to be adapted to support this. We will support the developers to implement this. Unfortunately we can’t guarantee that this feature will work with a specific software. Please ask the developers of the software if this is supported.
All Digi+ boards can be mounted without soldering. They match the Raspberry Pi A+/B+/2/3
The output transformer provides a full galvanic isolation between the Raspberry Pi and your DAC on the electrical output. Usual consumer-grade SPDIF outputs do not use output transformers. Usually this works without problems. However, many audio enthusiasts like to use this option. If you’re not sure, the standard version is most likely sufficient for you.
Note that the output transformer is shielded. To make sure the shielding works, your DAC needs to be grounded. If you’re unsure, we recommend the standard version.
The output transformer does not have any effect on the optical output. Therefore if you plan to use only the optical output, the standard version will do the job.